Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Things I'd Have Been Better Off Not Knowing

"Eh. She doesn't look that hot."

I'm climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro this July (planning to climb, anyway -- less than 40% of hikers reach the summit). I was researching my trip last night when I stumbled across this heartening tidbit:

At 20,000 feet, Mount Kilimanjaro is Africa’s highest peak and also the world’s tallest volcano. And although classified as dormant, Kilimanjaro has begun to stir, and evidence suggests that a massive landslide could rip open the side of the mountain causing a cataclysmic flow of hot gases and rock, similar to Mount St. Helens.

At least I can finally rationalize having seen both Dante's Peak and Volcano, 1997's two-fold contribution to magma-themed cinema. In the theater, no less. But there's really no excusing Joe Versus the Volcano, is there?

4 comments:

Cob the Crazed said...

While hiking is a big part of my "fun time", hitting the level where the plants and animals stop and the cold and snow start has me thinking, "ARE YOU NUTS!!!"

AllTooHuman said...

Bah! Linked from someone linked from my reader.

I don't know you from Adam, but JVTV is one of the most misunderstood yet facinatingly well done allegorical movies of all time. At least in my book!

See this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099892/board/nest/116410457

Anonymous said...

I managed to walk 1.5 miles today at the local park, do 30 sit ups and 25 push ups. I may try 75 more just so I can say I did. I'm pretty sure I will live through the experience wihout the ground opening up and melting my face with molten rock.

Will you be taking a little gnome on your trip so you can get a pic of him/her at the point closest to the top you get?

Just Curious,

HC

musingegret said...

Not to dissuade you from a courageous undertaking/challenge, but you might want to read the chapter entitled Kilamanjaro from Michael Crichton's book "Travels" published in 1988. Brrrrr!