Friday, September 19, 2008

Top 10 Ways To Tell This Was My Childhood Bedroom


I was looking through an old photo album yesterday and came across this picture (click to enlarge) I took in my bedroom when I was a freshman in high school. My friends were play fighting after soccer practice and I thought it was funny so I took a photo. Looking back, what's even more amusing is what's going on on the walls behind them. This room couldn't scream of adolescence more if it shouted, "I hate you, mom and dad! You don't UNDERSTAND me!!!" and then stomped off to it's own room. Let us count the ways:

1. Framed photo involving a kitten.

2. Rose that my first boyfriend gave to me on our one month anniversary.

3. One of those 3-D posters that were all the rage in the 90s where you have to let your eyes go out of focus to see the hidden picture within.

4. Poster of an otter. Adorbs!

5. Poster of a dolphin. Back when I was convinced I was going to be a marine biologist when I grew up.

6. A VHS VCR

7. Requisite Garfield stuffed animal

8. Old Babysitter's Club books

9. Regular fat Wheat Thins. Oh, those were the days.

10. A hammock chair. That was pretty awesome. I'd kind of like to have that now, actually. The year before I'd begged my parents to let me get rid of my regular bed and just get a hammock instead. This was the compromise.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did your parents sleep at night? Oh, the rebellion! Love it.

Anonymous said...

Now show us a picture of your bedroom today so we can see the difference, I hope???

Mom said...

I wish you had a photo of your bedroom when you had your Science Fair chicken hatching project going on! Your brother was appalled that you were actually hatching baby chicks in the house!

paige said...

you are right, that chair was awesome.

Miss Grace said...

I really hate those stupid 3D posters.

Lindsey said...

I'm seriously dying. Those were the days.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you could do a second post on this photo. There must be something to say about the tiger illustration on the wall above the shelf and the fake bird in its perch. BTW: Congrats on upgrading to real birds.

Noelle Hancock said...

It gets even better: The tiger was needlepoint. And the bird I got in Disney World as a souvenir from the Jungle Ride. If you hit a button on the perch it actually chirped. I thought it was the bomb.

Noelle Hancock said...

This is a pic of my bedroom now. Decidedly less exciting. http://noellehancock.blogspot.com/2008/07/never-again.html

miz_ginevra said...

oh, regular fat wheat thins, take me away!

Rico Bach said...

That is one old-school VCR. Did your dad figure it was easier to foist this on you instead of finding a willing dumpster when he upgraded? Seriously, I fell victim to two curtis-mathis CONSOLE TV's being cast off into my adolescent room. I felt lucky at the time... now I look back in anger.

Sincerely,
-Creepy dude you don't know