Sunday, June 08, 2008

Why Is It?...




Why is it that I feel perfectly safe walking around New York City at 3 in the morning, but if I go jogging in my parents' suburban neighborhood after 8 p.m., I always feel like someone's about to pull up behind me in their car, shove a chloroform-soaked rag over my mouth and throw me in their trunk?

Don't get me wrong, my parents' nabe is ridiculously safe (and ridiculously named Sugar Land). But I think Commenter John is right -- it's the whole trend of horror movies usually being set in the suburbs. Have you seen the preview for The Strangers, by the way? I pretty much have a massive coronary every time it comes on. Those masks!

I think another part of it is that the media jumps all over the story whenever a white girl disappears while jogging in an upper middle class neighborhood. I can already envision my promo running during commercial breaks for Grey's Anatomy or something: "How the daughter of two local parents ran into trouble when she made the serious mistake of going for a run after nightfall. Tune it at 11..."

12 comments:

J said...

Don't they have police everywhere in NYC, even at night?

It's probably like London where the city is crawling with police, but outside the city there's a fair amount of crime.

Most large cities want tourists to keep coming, so they make sure there's a lot of cops on the streets. High crime rates aren't good for tourism.

John said...

It's the eery bright cheerfulness. I know I wouldn't want to meet the sun in a dark alley. That and almost all horror movies are set in the suburbs nowadays.

Anonymous said...

umm, where do your parents live? lol

Noelle Hancock said...

haha. they live in a really nice, safe suburb. it's called Sugarland, for pete's sake! but i think it's because there are always so many people out and about in new york city whereas in the suburbs there's no one around to hear you scream.

Anonymous said...

Noelle I'm familiar with the Houston suburb of Sugarland. I think it's actually a decent little town, but then again it's part of the greater Houston metro area, which is supposedly a very high crime city (based on what I've heard). Especially since it 'turned into' New Orleans back in late 2005. Although I must say I've always had positive experiences when I've visited Houston. I think most cities have crime concentrated in various pockets and as long as you stay away from those areas, you should be ok. Los Angeles is like that. Very safe, except for, you know where... (listen to some gangsta rap to find out)

J said...

That's a good movie clip. At least the intruder made a fire and put on some music. Not all deranged felons are so thoughtful.

MIke said...

You're from Sugarland TX?! No way!

Noelle Hancock said...

Nope, nope. I'm from Houston proper. My parents moved to Sugar Land when I was in college.

Commenter John said...

I was mentioned in a blog? OMG! I'm an internet celebrity!

alison said...

Yes! I feel the same way when I visit my parents in the Sugarland that is Orange County, CA. I think it's that even when you're alone in NYC you're never really alone. There are usually people on the streets or the sense of people nearby. But in the 'burbs it can be desolate.

laura said...

i grew up in houston as well..my parents live in west houston (cinco ranch) now and i get creeped out when i go running around there. it's eerily quiet..

gRob said...

I'm from Sugar Land and used to go running at 3 in the morning. And yeah, those greenbelts can be super creepy.

Did you know it was ranked the
5th safest city in the nation?