Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Life Is A Highway And I Want To Embarrass Myself On It All Night Long



I was watching TV last night when a commercial for gasoline came on featuring the accompanying theme song “Life is a Highway.” Oh, memories! When I was in middle school, my gym teacher got it in his head that our class should split up into groups and choreograph a dance to the song of our choice. It was the end of the year so the teachers were running on fumes and trying to get out of teaching as much as possible. My friend Jill and I performed the electric slide to the Tom Cochrane song “Life is a Highway." If there was any moment in my life that I would least like to have captured on film, that would be at the top of my list next to the first time I tried to put in a tampon.

Also up there? The day that I performed an elaborate tap dance to Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" in the 6th grade talent show with utter disregard for the fact that I had never taken any lessons. Is it any surprise we were so awkward in junior high with the teachers constantly shoving our unqualified asses out onto stages? Though I guess forced humiliation is a life lesson best learned early. I'm trying to imagine what I would do if there were a modern day talent show and I'm picturing myself blogging on the overheard projector: "And now, Class, it's time to hyperlink! So who's ready for a little html fun?!"

I should point out that I went to middle school with the original members of Destiny's Child, who would come in at the end of every talent show and completely destroy us.

6 comments:

SSS said...

For the briefest, most glimmering moment, I hoped that the link to "In The Mood" was actual footage of the 6th grade performance in question.

Noelle Hancock said...

haha. no. thank god i didn't go to school during the era of cell phone video or it probably would be.

I *Heart* You said...

Oh my god Noelle! Thank god they didn't have the instant technology back then! Ms. Goswick's dance recitals and the Speech departments rendition of "The Boyfriend" could be on youtube right now! How lucky are we!!! And yes, Beyonce and crew destroyed us. It is amazing any kid from Welch had any self esteem at all after competing with those girls.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you're from Texas...all the better!

The other day I was recounting my UIL dance number to Good Ship Lollipop - complete with that colored cellophane stuff that used to make our props, bows, etc. God it was bad...

Rbastid said...

Awww no interpretive dance to Asia's "In the Heat of the Moment"?

Sadly being 4 or so years younger then you I had parents who had one of the early 90's VHS air conditioner sized Cameras, I have everything from my Kindergarten play to High school talent shows (where atleast I stuck to a talent I had, making homeless people disapear into the river behind the school)

Think the next time your on TV we can get a little example of your performance?

Noelle Hancock said...

I Heart You,

How in the world do you remember Ms. Goswick's name? Color me impressed. At least you were in the magnet dance program with all the cool kids! Jill, Belinda and I were stuck in gym with the freaks of the industry!