Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Father Has Inmate Friends

My dad, who has a penchant for sending me Wall Street Journal articles, recently branched out into CNN articles. Yesterday an email arrived in my inbox with the subject line: “I just saw it on CNN: Man's rare ability may unlock secret of memory”. It was an article about a man with hyperthymestic syndrome, a condition involving excessive remembering. Give him a date and he can tell you not only what he was doing but what world events happened that day. I wrote back to Dad, “That’s so unfair. I would have done so much better in school if I had a better memory.” My father responded with one of the strangest, more spectacular emails I’ve ever received from him. It read:

I’m really jealous of people who can recall in great detail. There is a guy who goes to the catechism class at the prison on Monday nights (he’s an inmate) who studied at a seminary at one time who can recall an amazing amount of detail about the church’s history (he also helped me pronounce “concupiscence” last night - as I was reading the night’s lesson).

'Scuse me???I love how he casually drops “the catechism class at the prison on Monday nights.” I should point out that my dad is not in prison. I have no idea what he was doing there. The man works in the cable industry. I guess he’s now ministering to The People (and the incarcerated people, at that) in his spare time. Very humanitarian of him. I also had no clue what “concupiscence” meant and when I looked it up just now on dictionary.com, all I saw was “sexual desire; lust” before I was frantically moving my cursor in the direction of the X at the top right hand corner of the page.

3 comments:

charlotte said...

ahaha!! you need to follow up with him on that....too funny!

Andrea said...

You don't remember Josh Charles dropping that word in the name of turning on Lara Flynn Boyle in Threesome? That is how I learned (and have never forgotten) that word...

Noelle Hancock said...

I actually never saw Threesome! Always meant to.