Wednesday, April 02, 2008

When I Was (Almost In) Seventeen









When I was sixteen, I was almost in Seventeen. Well, I say almost, not really. On a whim I entered the Seventeen Cover Model Contest and made it to the semi-finals. Obviously I never had the bone structure to make it in the biz, but I got these photos out of it and they're pretty funny to look back on nonetheless. I came across these shots earlier today when I was cleaning out my apartment.

Lord, that lipstick I'm wearing in the red outfit is so 90's! How we ever thought it was a good idea to wear brown on our lips is beyond me. I remember it was 15 degrees outside when they took these pics. After Seventeen junked all the losing entries into the trash, a custodian fished out my application and called me at home in Houston and asked if I would come visit him in New York. Freak.

10 comments:

MIke said...

Ooo. Very pouty in the last one. Good job!

Paige said...

i loved those photos!!! post the ads from the paper next! :)

Lindsey said...

haha, that is my purple shirt. Memories!

Noelle Hancock said...

hahaha! how funny. I was actually looking at that photo thinking, "Where did I get that shirt from? It's really cute. It makes me look like I have an enormous rack." Do you still have it?

apricot. said...

Me too!!! I mean, this was a couple years ago, but still. I made it to the semi-finals, but sadly lost because I didn't get enough online votes. =[ It was destiny, I suppose!

You are very beautiful, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Aside from the sixteen/seventeen wordplay, not sure I see what's "funny to look back on?" I mean, pics are far too recent to milk "shoulder pads/what were we thinking???" joke. But I guess if you wanted to show people that you are hot, nice work.

Noelle Hancock said...

12 years ago is "recent"? God bless you.

I dunno, I think it's funny to look back on pictures of oneself making doofy faces while trying to appear serious and sexy.

Matt said...

The sexy/serious interplay is the same anguish you see on the faces of guys trying to dance in nightclubs:

"Look at me! (I'm having a terrible time doing this so effortlessly.)"

Matt said...

Amended: straight guys. Gay men do fine.

"hi, i'm ginny branch and i love love." said...

dang girl. you look like a stone cold 90s fox. i have a soft spot for cute blondes, especially smart ones.