Monday, December 17, 2007

Live from New York...



Five days after undergoing media training, I made my terrifying live television debut on Studio B with Shepard Smith on Fox News. (Of course, I'd been on TV before, but that was mostly Red Eye which comes on at 2 a.m. and is slightly less formal as evidenced by the time I was on the show and declared that the state of Florida "looks like a wiener.")

My boss called me into his office on Friday and said that Fox requested I come on the show to talk about how Conan, Leno and Letterman are finally coming back on the air next month in spite of the writer’s strike.

Boss: “How did you do in media training?”

Me: “I was nervous at first but I loosened up after about 10 minutes.”

Boss: “Well, we need you to go on Shepard Smith this afternoon. It’s a 3-minute segment.”

Me: “So 7 minutes after it’s over, I’ll be completely relaxed.”

(Shep couldn’t have been nicer, by the way. When it was over he gave me the verbal equivalent of an affectionate arm punch and said, “Don’t worry, it gets easier.”)

7 comments:

fueledbyhate said...

LOL...Shepard Smith looks like a marrionette(sp) from Team America.

Anonymous said...

noelle, would you say you agree or disagree with the orientation of fox news? i tend to agree with it.

americaaaaa, FUCK YEA! coincidence?

John said...

I actually happened to catch the last minute or so of your segment by chance. You looked pretty. If you ever come back to RedEye I might actually watch it again (it's on 3-4 am now).

FueledByHate said...

John, since you saw it. Was she rocking the vein?

Noelle Hancock said...

Really, you think? Every time I go on television, I have have the same reaction, "Damn, I'm not nearly as good-looking as I thought I was." However, I did get an email from a viewer solely about how "fabulous" my hair looked (clearly, he's straight). I'm now considering starting a blog written from the point of view of my hair.

John said...

I did notice the vain Mr. Hate, but that's probably because she made a blog about it. And Noelle I do prefer you with your glasses, but that's just me.

Noelle Hancock said...

Haha, is that a compliment? "I prefer your face when covered by a large, obscuring accessory..." I actually prefer wearing glasses on television, but the producers usually make me take them off because of the glare. Unfortunately, I lost my glasses while traveling over Christmas so I guess it's a non-issue now. :-(