Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm Just Going To Say It


I fucking love the song "I Just Called To Say I Love You." It is such a jam. Remember the episode of The Cosby Show when Theo and Denise accidentally crashed into Stevie Wonder's limo and he invited the Huxtables to his studio where he dueted with Clair on this sentimental wonder? (So precocious, that Rudy!)

It's my favorite episode, and this is even taking into account all the times the family lipsynched for the grandparents on their anniversaries, and the episode where Denise and her friends pushed back the living room furniture and break danced at length for no discernible reason (this clip is not on YouTube and that is a travesty).

Clair was the perfect miscegenation of intelligence, feistiness, compassion and charm; therefore, I love her because I believe that actors are exactly the same in real life as the characters they portray.

Back when I worked at the New York Observer, I interviewed Phylicia Rashad and it was practically the apex of my career. Second only to the time I interviewed Rue McClanahan and we talked about her Siamese cat Bianca for a half hour.

I'm not going to say any more about it. Anything else you need to know can be found in Stevie's sweatshirt, which epitomizes everything that went right with 80s fashion.

1 comment:

Kirby: said...

I always thought it was so hysterical that, when Claire is signing The Song with Stevie, she acts like she never heard it before.

Like, who never heard that song before ???