Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Blog



When it comes to the sounds of the 80s, there’s really no comparison to Billy Ocean’s “Get Out Of My Dreams, Get Into My Car.”

It’s one of my favorites for a number of reasons, not the least of which because it’s on the soundtrack to License to Drive, the most entertaining film in the Corey-on-Corey canon. In the movie, Corey Haim asks Heather Graham out on a date, fails his driver’s test but decides to take out the car anyway, terrorizing L.A. and totally punishing his grandpa's prized Cadillac.

Then, just when all seems lost, Heather pulls up and lets Haim take the wheel of her red convertible sports car despite the fact that he still doesn't have a license. The song kicks in and they speed off.

It’s a thoroughly enjoyable sequence, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the original music video, a blue-tinted masterpiece that is not so much watched as it is EXPERIENCED.

There are several phenomenal things happening in this video. They are as follows:

-- The initial revving of the car motor for authenticity purposes.
--The fact that Billy Ocean is cruising for chicks at the local carwash.
-- The female carwash attendant, who just happened to be wearing a strapless gold cocktail dress underneath her jumpsuit.
-- The fact that Billy's driving from the passenger seat.*

And I'm fine with all of this.

However, when Billy decides to go through said carwash while serenading the carwash attendant and the cartoon water begins filling up the car and animated fish swim by, the entire premise of the video collapses. Was unforseen animation a common practice in 80s videos? Are they riffing on his last name? The mind reels.

(I can't even talk about the hip-hop duck in the sunglasses, tilted cap and high tops, nor the guy who does an extemporaneous backflip off the hood of the car. I literally had to hit pause while I put my head on my office desk and my shoulders quaked with laugh-sobs. That's how great it is.)

Oh, and all hell pretty much breaks loose at around the 2:32 mark.

Later they go to the drive-in where the movie consists of Billy dueting with yet another cartoon duck, this one jamming on a saxophone. Then, apropos of nothing, a girl pirouettes by on roller states. I wouldn’t say this was my favorite part, but I will say I really appreciated Billy's floor-length white cashmere coat.

The video ends with the two of them swaying happily in the car, Billy having rescued the woman from her upholstery-shampooing, jumpsuit-wearing existence. Dreams really do come true if you just strip down to your cocktail party finery and get in the car with a total stranger, don’t they? That said, let's be clear: If a guy ever called himself my "non-stop miracle" I'd punch him in the face.

*A quick wikipedia search reveals that he's based in the U.K., so the car thing makes much more sense. Apologies, Billy! He also apparently he has nine children. Yikes!

4 comments:

The Cajun Boy said...

this song, or any billy ocean song for that matter, brings back way to many memories of my painful pubescent period otherwise known as the late 80's. my mother and father loved to take road trips and were big fans of any goddamned "lite rock" station on the radio and those stations played that douchequake's music every 10 minutes. i just say in the back seat and popped zits while popping boners whenever i thought of the facts of life girls.

oh the humanity!

Christina said...

Speaking of head-on-desk laugh-sobs, this is exactly what i need on this dreary Tuesday morning! Thanks for reminding me how much I love soft rock. Clearly I don't listen to enough Billy O.
--Christina, Boston, MA

Christina said...

Speaking of head-on-desk laugh-sobs, this is exactly what i need on this dreary Tuesday morning! Thanks for reminding me how much I love soft rock. Clearly I don't listen to enough Billy O.
--Christina, Boston, MA

Anonymous said...

lmao! That is a hilarious detailed post lol.... The license to drive reference is classic... And I forgot Heather Graham is in that... Youre witty and funny but please tell me you didnt take your blog picture yourself with a camera phone....