Monday, July 23, 2007

A Mother’s Dilemma





As pretty much everyone is aware, I am the proud owner of two darling parakeets, Jesus and Stuart. And I'm completely enamored of them, absurdly so.

But I’ve been sitting here for a half hour watching Stuart play with his plastic rings, continually getting his head stuck, then squawking and flapping about indignantly for awhile, then at last dislodging his head. Then he does it all over again.

So I've reached that point every mother reaches where I'm wondering if my parakeets are just stupid, or if I just expected too much from them in the first place?

Maybe I just need to back off and let them find themselves? Before they end up empty overachievers, miserable on the inside. You know, like Asian kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just like the bad comics at the Cellar, using racial stereotypes may get a quick laugh, but it speaks volumes of lack of creativity and character in your work.

- One Asian Kid with Character Up the Wazoo